Friday, July 22, 2011

Devil's Food & Banana Cupcakes

These cupcakes were a "Sunday Creation." Myke and I don't purchase anything on Sunday because we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Sunday is thus a sacred day of rest and we honor it by not purchasing things. We came home to our little apartment in Provo after church one Sunday and I wanted something sweet...but...we didn't have much in the cupboard and we had some over-ripe bananas on the counter. I had a devil's food cake mix and thought to myself, "chocolate covered bananas are good, chocolate banana cake ought to be good!"

1 box "supermoist" Devil's Food Cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Brand)
1 sm box (3.8 oz) Devil's Food Instant Pudding mix
1 3/4 - 2 C. Bananas, mashed (~4 med bananas, very ripe)
3 eggs
1/2 C. vegetable oil
3/4 C milk

Sift together cake mix and pudding mix. Beat in eggs, oil, and milk. Stir in bananas last. Bake in well-greased muffin pan (fill cups 2/3 full) according to cake box directions. (makes about 30 cupcakes)

Chocolate Frosting
3 T Butter
1 1/2 C Powdered Sugar
3 T cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
3 T milk (or less)

Sift together sugar and cocoa. Set aside. Cream/beat butter until creamy. Beat in sugar mixture and milk, alternating. Beat in vanilla. Covers about 8 cupcakes - triple or quadruple this recipe to match the cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment